The Importance of Cybersecurity Awareness for Human Rights Defenders and Organizations
In today’s digital world, human rights defenders and organizations face new and complex threats to their work and safety. As more and more communication and data storage occurs online, the risks of cyber attacks, data breaches, and online harassment continue to rise. It’s essential that human rights defenders take proactive steps to protect themselves and their sensitive data.
Statistics show that the threat is real. In 2020, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that activists and journalists around the world were targeted with sophisticated phishing attacks designed to steal login credentials and sensitive data. A survey conducted by the International Association of Women in Radio and Television (IAWRT) also found that more than half of female journalists had experienced online harassment, with nearly a third reporting physical threats.
It’s important for human rights defenders and organizations to be aware of these threats and take necessary steps to protect their sensitive data and secure communications. Here are some tips to help stay safe:
- Use strong passwords: Choose long, complex passwords and use a different password for each account. Consider using a password manager to help keep track of them.
- Encrypt communications: Use end-to-end encryption for email and messaging apps to ensure that only the intended recipient can access the message.
- Keep software up to date: Make sure that all software and operating systems are updated regularly with the latest security patches.
- Be cautious of phishing emails: Don’t click on links or download attachments from unknown sources. Double-check the sender’s email address and look out for any red flags, such as misspellings or unusual requests.
- Train staff and volunteers: Provide cybersecurity training for staff and volunteers to ensure that everyone is aware of the risks and knows how to protect themselves and the organization.
By implementing these practices, human rights defenders and organizations can help reduce the risk of cyber attacks and keep their sensitive data safe.
If you’re interested in learning more about cybersecurity and how to protect your organization, consider attending one of our cybersecurity training courses or utilizing our Cyber Clinic services. Stay safe out there!